|Organize your memories
||End users, developers
Welcome to the Camera Life support Wiki.
Pages here should explain how to use Camera Life and how to make the most of it.
Please feel free to contribute to this Wiki!
||Artistic License, GNU General Public License (GPL)
Camera Life - An Online Photo Gallery Manager
Camera Life is a PHP powered photo organizer. It can be installed on your website just like any other PHP based website add-on such as Wordpress blog. Camera Life is easy to customize to suit to your sites look and feel.
- Camera Life is a SourceForge open source project and it is available as a free download.
Camera Life installed on your website enables
- Automatic organizing of photos with folder and albums (based on keywords)
- Uploading of photos on Mac, Windows, Linux or other operating systems
- Uploading and storing of photos on
- your local server
- Amazon S3
- a remote FTP/HTTP/SSH server
- Automatic photo rescanning
- Automatic iPhone support with a simplified interface
- Easy customization with your choice of templates
- Browsing of photos by file hierarchy
- Editing the description of each photo
- Renaming and tagging of your photos
- Automatic recognition of the pattern of relation of photos and presents the user with photos that are related to the one currently being viewed.
Prerequisites for Setting up Camera Life
The Camera Life setup process requires
- A server that enables
- PHP with MySQL support
- GD with JPEG support
- Content Negotiation support
- A database
Setting up a server
Download a server that installs Apache, PHP and My SQL on your computer. Recommmended: XAMPP
Creating a Database
Type http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin on your browsers address bar
- Assign a name for the database in the box and click Create.
- From the toolbar select Privileges
- From the user root click
- Scroll down and create a new database user. Fill in appropriate login information for Username, Host and Password.
- Click Go
Setting up Camera Life
Setting up of Camera Life involves the following two steps
Installing Camera Life
- Download the Camera Life zip or tar file from http://fdcl.sourceforge.net/download.php
- Unzip/untar the Camera Life package
- Point your browser to the downloaded folder, that is cut and paste the Camera Life folder to the htdocs folder (example c:xampp/htdocs)
- On your internet explorers address bar type localhost/cameralife/ or 127.0.0.1/cameralife. The welcome page will be seen.
You can view a installation tutorial of Camera Life at this link http://www.youtube.com/nwatch?v=P1veZCgL9F8
Follow the links on the Camera Life server page and fill in information as entered in #Creating a Database section
Instructions on Initializing Database For linux and cPanel users
Working with Camera Life
This is the entry page users would see when they first visit your site. It shows some random photos and allows you to search or browse photos.
This is the page view for administrators to modify the website. You can change the layout of the site, download new themes, and undo edits that were made by users.
Note : The admin password is the Camera Life admin password created in the #initializing database section.
Registering a New User
- To register a new user click
Adding Camera Life to your website
You can store photos in the Upload folder on
- Your local server
- Amazon S3
- A remote FTP/HTTP/SSH server
Photos added to your "photostore" will be recognized by Camera Life and cached/thumbnailed.
You can add Camera Life to your site by editing the
- Camera Life supports numerous [themes]
- Some include AJAX support.
- There is a custom interface for iPhone/iPod touch users.
To install themes
- Click the administer button
- Choose the required theme from the Appearance panel to install a chosen theme
In the Camera Life photos organizer
- Photos are browsable by file hierarchy
- You can edit the description for each photo and add tags.
- You can then create Albums, which are groups of photos containing some search term.
- As you rename and tag photos, they are automatically added to or removed from Albums.
Camera Life automatically learns how photos are related and present the user with photos that are related to the one currently showing.
On Camera Life, photos automatically are allotted to the albums that they share a common name, description, and theme with. Thus, photos with similar name or description reside on the album similar to their type. Also, see an illustrative and detailed note on albums
- Add a few photos into the Camera Life system, and fill in their descriptions.
- Fill in the fields appropriately
Administrating Site Activities
All actions on the site have an audit trail that can be undone.
Allowing Site Visitors to Comment/Edit
You can allow site users to
Click on to edit a photo name or to add keywords.
Photos can be rated by choosing one, two, three, four or five star rating by rolling the mouse over the preferred star rating
Fill in comments in the text box and click
Photos can be flagged for deletion based upon indecency, bad photography, bracketing or uninterestingness.
Integrating with other Plug-ins
The Camera Life code is modular and extensible. It enables you to
- Add themes/iconset to your site
- Integrate Camera Life with your existing CMS or template system
- Interface with microformats with AJAX support
- Photocast through a RSS feed.
Camera Life is compatible with the following applications so you can use their tools to upload
photos to your website
It can be integrated to a blog in two ways
Upgrading an Older Version of Camera Life
- Download the latest version from http://fdcl.sourceforge.net/
- Compare the new versions database structure visible in setup/install.mysql to the previous versions database structure.
- Edit modules/config.inc, using modules/config-example.inc as a template
- Replace the rest of the old versions files (all files except install.mysql) with the new versions files, by cut and paste method.
- Register a username admin following the steps in #Registering a User
- Type 127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin on your address bar
- Click the appropriate database from the left hand side listing
- Click the SQL tab
- Run the SQL query UPDATE users SET auth=5 WHERE username='admin'
- Type 127.0.0.1/cameralife/install/index3.php in your address bar
Improving Camera Life
The Camera Life PHP code is modular. We look forward to your patches, suggestions and feedbacks.
- Release often
- Document code
- Add more themes
- Better photo modification features
- Integrate with
- Content management systems
- Picasa and Digikam
For specific tasks such as code patches, see the todo tag in the PHP documentation of Camera Life
Sharing your Website with the Camera Life Team
Share your website with the Camera Life team. Send your site link to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like, we may feature your site on the Camera Life webpage.
Contacting Customer Support
The developers at Camera Life look forward to your queries, comments and feedbacks.
Please contact us at email@example.com
Camera Life is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- © 2001-2009 Will Entriken